Google Cloud Platform in the enterprise, can it compete with AWS and Azure? – Original Article
Nice Read article.
Interesting perspective – dealing with customers and enterprise is a different game all together!!
There is no denial to the fact that Google is “THE SUPREMO” in the market when it comes to dealing with the End Customers and its Offerings. But does the same hold good with the Google’s Offering for the enterprise.
Few things that are really shadowing Google’s offering for enterprise :
- Open Source focus
- Failure in building a complete ecosystem around Cloud offering that is competitive
- The enterprise code is just not restricted to Python and Java – it’s a lot more than that (adding more flavors Ruby, PHP etc)
- The battle is no longer around base infrastructure-as-a-service (number of instance or how fast the computation is) – It is about the Additional Services it can Offer
- Low Trust factor as an enterprise solution – with limited Fortune 500 companies it can boast of (though there have been lot of implementations already done)
- Limited Integration solutions across multiple competitor products in the market – as a differentiator
- Having a relationship with an enterprise is way different than having a relationship with a consumer
- It has to come out of the tag-line “the advertising company” – with a new sticky value proposition. Enterprise does not like advertising.
- Additionally few enterprise are happy to use IBM or Microsoft products across the organization – Just cant help!!
What’s Your Take ?
Please do correct me and provide your feedback with some valuable pointers at your end.
Happy Reading!! 🙂
Whenever we start learning a new topic – it always becomes troublesome – where to start and what to follow. Here are some of the links – that I referred to when I started learning Google App Engine / Java. Please do correct me and help me enrich the bookmark list – if you have any additional info/updates.
Google App Engine Bookmarks :
- Introduction :
- What is Google App Engine ? – Wikipedia
- Google App Engine / Java – Dzone Refcardz
- Programming Google App Engine – Book (O’Reilly & Google Press)
- Google App Engine – HOWTO
- Google App Engine – Instances
- Tutorials :
- Google App Engine / Java – Official Site
- Google App Engine / Java – Lars Vogel’s Tutorial (very organized one)
- Google App Engine / Java – Mkyong’s Blog (bang on to the point hands-on examples and steps)
- Google App Engine / Python – (Good reference – people searching for Python can checkout this )
- Slideshare Links :
- Downloads :
- Google App Engine SDK Downloads Link
- Google App Engine plugin for Eclipse
- Google App Engine plugin for Eclipse – Installation Steps/Guide
- Eclipse Download
- References :
- Google App Engine Whitelist Classes
- Google App Engine Pricing details
- Google App Engine – Google Groups
- Google App Engine/Java – Google Groups
- Stackoverflow – GAE Group
- Helpful Links :
- Finding a Jar file for a class name
- Download a JAR file
- GAE – Twitter Link
- Khan Academy Checkbook Scaling to 6 Million Users a Month on GAE
- Google Cloud Platform : Khan Academy runs on Google Cloud Platform
Happy Learning!! 🙂