There is an interesting discussion initiated by Peter Schooff @bpm.com
How Big of an Impact Do You Think AI Will Have on Processes in 2018?
— Peter Schooff (@PSchooff) December 5, 2017
Artificial Intelligence is a multidimensional subject area. It can be broadly classified as a blend of Machine Learning, Predictive/Adaptive Analytics, NLP, Text Analytics, Voice Pattern Recognition, Image Analytics, Deep Learning, Graph Analysis, Robotics and many more.
The current state for adoption of AI complementing Business Processes in an enterprise is a bit chaotic with Discussions, Debate, PoCs, R&D etc. Hopefully, the coming year will embark on a more structured & focused approach(fingers crossed)
From process impact standpoint, the key topic that will make a difference few years down the line are:
- Enhanced Decisioning Strategies
- Predictive / Adaptive Analytics
- Persona Driven solutions
- Mature Robotics Process Automation
- Development of Self Healing Processes
- Inception of ML & Deep Learning Model driven processes
- Improvised Customer Experience (personalized) with Data fuelled strategies
- Reduction of OpEx with automated decisioning & self-healing capabilities
- Hype & marketing around “touchless” or “zero-touch” implementation e.g Touchless Claim Processing, Zero Touch Onboarding etc.
- Reduction of Contact Center overheads with Chatbots/Virtual Assistant implementations
- The AI, IoT & Process interlock can also act as a game changer in certain scenarios
- BPM products adding yet another capability to their stack as a new feature (be it homegrown or a plug & play model) 🙂
AI implementation is not new for enterprise (processes), they are already doing it in some form or the other (magnitudes may differ). But yes with the buzz in the wild, it has become a checklist mandate and a parameter for competitive advantage. Definitely, with new tools/technologies mushrooming everyday, AI will strengthen/mature & proliferate to unlock tremendous value. Things won’t change overnight to attain the “nirvana” state, it will be a steady incremental approach with a judicious feasibility study.
In a nutshell, irrespective of “getting Robots out of the humans[RPA]” or “humanizing the Robots…..by adding more intelligence[AI/Cognitive]” – the “process” still remains the heart/pulse and the enterprise ecosystem. An inefficient or weak process design is enough to choke the arteries, give cramps or cardiac arrest & dismantle the Humanized Bot
[Artificial Intelligence]:[Brain of the Enterprise] :: [Business Process]:[Heart of the Enterprise]
Thinking loud based on the above analogous pair: (pardon me for my knowledge of medical science!! :-))
A human with a non-functional brain & pumping heart(weak/strong) is within the realm of possibility & exists but on the contrary, a human without a heart (natural or pacemaker) & alive is uncanny!!
In simple words: “The heart can beat without the brain, while the brain cannot function without the heart”
How Big of an Impact Do You Think AI Will Have on Processes in 2018? What’s your take?
Happy Learning!! 🙂
Image Source: link