Some really nice thoughts and comments/links.
Interesting PoVs. Both Metrics and Process are very important factors for any business implementation.
But, I presume Process comes First. The reasons as follow:
- Every system that is built and which is a candidate for improvement or refinement – was formerly built based on some process
- Without any Process – it is tough to visualize any business or real time (day-to-day life) functionalities
- The system built on Java, .NET, Mainframe or a ny obsolete technology –> can be a candidate for better development leveraging a tool (when we use our BPM glasses and think from a process flow standpoint)
- But, not to forget, when the same process was built earlier – it must have been through a Process Cycle, Requirement Capture, Visualizing functionality, Implementation etc
- If we are not happy with the Data Statistics,Metrics, Performance, KPIs emitted by the current process or system – we try improvising the process to tame it and serve better (based on feedback mechanism)
- Unless we start the ignition of the Car and set the Gear Box right – the car wont move forward
- My Metrics for measurement can be to check the Speed/Mileage, Fuel Efficiency of the Car
- But, in order to get the desired data, I need to undergo through a defined process for – Driving School training, Get a Driving License, Well versed with the steps to be performed – to start the vehicle or change the Gear, when to apply brakes etc…
“Process helps in realizing / visualizing a Business Functionality, but Metrics helps is enriching it and making it better”
A process need not be just a workflow defined and designed in a flow chart or modeler – it can be the set of steps an activities performed to achieve a business functionality. Yes these related steps -> can be a candidate of a structured/streamlined process when we put on put BPM Glasses and visualize it as a Process Flow
Process helps in Designing/Building a Business Functionality and Metrics helps it Adopting it!!
(I can build a process which has a screen rendering time of 10 minutes, which is right as per the PROCESS and functionality – but to be adopted by users with a response time less than 5 seconds(METRICS) – it has to be Modified/Enriched)
Whats your take ?? – What Comes First: Metrics or Process?
Happy Reading!! 🙂