Problem Statement :
- How do the available deployment packages differ?
- Which deployment package is suitable to your application’s needs, technical requirements, and organizational policies?
Solution / Recommendation :
- The Pega Product comes shipped with a package of resources like the DB Scripts/Documentation/Archive wars and ears (prweb.war, prpc_j2ee14_ws.ear etc..)
But, which one to choose as a best practice and under what situation makes life complicated
So, here we go!!
- The WAR(Web Archive File) is mostly preferred for the deployment in the Tomcat Server which is just a Web Server (Not an Application Server)
- The EAR(Eneterprise Archive File)is preferred for the most popular App Servers like Weblogic/Websphere.
- Pega encourages the deployment of the EAR
- The EAR Deployment provides an option to add advanced J2EE features to the Application as and when it evolves or is migrated to PROD Env
- Some of the following features can be explored with a EAR Deployment :
- Two-phase commit
- JMS message services
- Service EJB rules (Rule-Service-EJB rule type)
- Websphere App Server supports only EAR Deployment.
Happy Learning!! 🙂