RPM(Responsive Process Management) = BPM(Business Process Management) + BEP(Business Event Processing)
This post on “RPM” is based on the detailed presentation by Dr.M Ketabchi (Chief Strategist of Progress Software and founder of Savvion )
Just could not stop blogging about it!! 🙂
For most of our Business implementations we follow the Bottom Up Approach where in we first go with a Tool or BPM Suite then based on the generic BPM Capabilities like Agility/Visibility/Process Improvement we conclude/generalize that we can achieve this objective in some fashion or the other.
But, it is really nice to see this from a Top-Down Approach wherein we first get hold of the Objectives, and make it more agile and flexible so as to map its visibility by a product(BPM suite or anything as add on)
Following are the Key Areas every Business wants to achieve :
- Reducing Cost – spend less
- Improve Quality – reducings defects/flaws
- Increase Revenue – Opportunities to explore
- Manage Exceptions – Handling exceptions in an elegant fashion
With a Normal BPM implementation using any Product we can Achieve the following 3 objectives i.e
Reduce Cost —> Improve Quality —> Increase Revenue
But the important entity of “Manage Exceptions” is missed out. We talk about Agility, Flexibility, Dynamic and many other terms to define our Business but we hardly care about it during our implementation.
So, whats going wrong and how can corrective measured be incorporated!!
Here is where BEP(Business Event Processing) pitches in. But what exactly is it!!!
Let us consider some real time examples to get more clarity on it :
- Cell Phone Company : The Cell phone service providers try to please their customer with all jazzy offers and tariff rates. How great i would be if the company tries to study their customers very closely. Lets say the user’s birthday is nearing/the customer is at a shopping mall or at the airport. based on the location and the current situation an even can be triggered to provide some offers to the customers instantly or present a cake/flower/card on the eve of b’day.
- Airline or Consumer Product Industry : These days everyone is engaged in social-networking sharing his/her thoughts and views based on the experience. This can be taken positively by the companies to have thse social events tracked and processed accordingly to win the hearts of their customers.
- Global BPO Services : For call centers working on claims and requests, if there are two claims coming in for a individual person for the accidental claim taking place at different locations but same date and time. The system should intelligently identify this and nullify/set it as a fraudulent case avoiding further manual intensive work.
In a nut-shell the ability to correlate business events across time / location(which carry important info) to a given customer/location is very helpful in recognizing the pattern among the events and formulate response in an automated manner. This is what is referred to as “Business Event Processing”
With the WORLD becoming event-driven we cannot miss-out to capture the real-time data info, sense the response and generate automed action for the same.
The KEY capabilities of BEP are :
- Allow explicit modelling of Business Events and their impact on Business Process
- Enable correlation of various events with each other and the Business Process
- Provide Real-Time access to critical information in transition.
- Can recognize predefined event patterns and automate responses.
Typical RPM Flow in Action :
EVENT SOURCES(bpm/external sources) ——trigger—–> BUSINESS EVENTS(which interacts with data for business metrices) —–trigger—–>EVENT ACTIONS(schedule event/send email/start process etc)
BPM + BPE = RPM = Enterprise can RUN their Business more intelligently and responsively
Benefits of RPM :
- Managing Exceptions
- Predictive Analysis and automated Response
- Reduce Cost and Increase Revenue
- Win the heart of the customers by studying the Customers based on the trend analysis ans acting upon it accordingly
- Less Manual Intervention and cost incurred for it
The other Question that arises is “What to do if the Company is already having a BPM Product in place – it would be an added expenditure to spend on the Progress BPM+BPM(RPM)”
Well, the Progress RPM clubs at ease and integrates with the existing BPM Products in place, with no need to replace by a all new Progress product. The Progress RPM feature i.e the RPM Control Tower Application/Server?Engine can be exploited to reap the maximum benefits out of it!!
At the very 1st instance it looked to me just like the TIBCO Business Events which also works on the CEP (Complex Event Processing) Model.
Moreover one more thing that keeps me guessing is(if i have not missed anything) – Are’nt are taking care-of the Exception Handling as a part of the Poller Activity and Agent driven activities. This can also be considered as good as an Event.
But “YES” we can definitely incorporate this with the existing resources incorporating some Analysis and Predictive Logics and responding back to the Action taken.
For more info please checkout the following links :
Courtesy : The information are based on the conference meet BPM-CON.
Happy Learning 🙂