The Gartner Magic Quadrant (MQ) is a proprietary research tool developed by Gartner Inc., a US based research and advisory firm.
According to Gartner, the Magic Quadrant aims to provide a qualitative analysis into a market and its direction, maturity and participants, thus possibly enabling a company to be a stronger competitor for that market
The analyses are conducted for several specific technical industries and are updated every 1 – 2 years.
Gartner rates the Products based on the following two criterias :
- completeness of vision
- ability to execute
Here is a Snapshot of the Gartner’s Magic Quadrant :
Image Source : Internet
- Leaders score higher on both criteria; the ability to execute and completeness of vision. Typically larger industry developed businesses with vision and potential for expansion.
- Challengers score higher the ability to execute and lower on the completeness of vision. Typically larger, settled businesses with minimal future plans for that industry.
- Visionaries score lower on the ability to execute and higher on the completeness of vision. Typically smaller companies that are unloading their planned potential.
- Niche players score lower on both criteria: the ability to execute and completeness of vision. Typically new additions to the Magic Quadrant, or market fledglings.
Sample BI Magic Quadrant – 2008
The very simple question that might arise is….fair enufff!!…Gartner creates its own Magic Quadrant and Report…how does it benefit me afterall!!!
Thats a very valid and practical question
Well to answer this..
- All the giant IT companies before investing on any product which adds to their cost and revenue, take the Gartner’s Quadrant Report.
- Based on the Gartner’s Report which has become a kind of Statutory body, helps the Customers and Clients to invest on the right Technology Product in a Market.
- Most importantly when we as IT Consultants propose any product to our Clients we take the help of this Old Research Company and its Reports providing an edge to the Response to RFPs over our peers.
- We showcase it as a Certifying Organization recognized world wide.
- As Software Engineers too we get affected by these Reports – as this decides which Skillset we will be heading to. Today Product “X” might be a star and you may be proud working on it. But with the Competition getting tough in the market, the Launch of a new product “Y” with some jazzy feature can overshadow the product X…and the cushion ‘you’ had in working with the product for a loong time.
For More info
Disclaimer :Source of the images Gartner.com and Wiki. The intent of sharing the images is to give a better visualization, not for any commercial or self benefit. Please do share your comments – if there is a need to modify or remove the pics for any purpose.
Happy Learning 🙂